Website KPMG Canada
At KPMG, we think like an investor, looking at how opportunities to buy, sell, fund or fix a company can add and preserve value.
Today’s deals do not happen in a vacuum. So from client business strategy to acquisition strategy, plans for divestments or for raising funds, or even needs to restructure, every decision must be made in light of the clients entire business, sector, and the global economy.
Our teams of specialists combine a global mindset and local experience with deep sector knowledge and superior analytic tools to help clients navigate the complex, fragmented process of mergers and acquisitions.
From helping clients plan and implement strategic change to measurably increasing portfolio value, we focus on delivering tangible results through transaction advisory services and deal advisory services. The kind of results that let you clearly see what you gained from the deal at hand, and what you want to bring to the next deal down the road. Real results, achieved by integrated specialists.
Deal Analytics at KPMG
Corporate deal teams and financial investors are facing unprecedented pressure. The M&A market is highly competitive, massive and increasing amounts of data need to be analyzed for due diligence and deal timelines have shortened dramatically. The time pressure and scope of the task can leave buyers and sellers wondering if they’ve missed risks or opportunities. Since all bidders have access to the same data, it’s increasingly difficult to find a competitive edge.
KPMG Deal Analytics helps clients strengthen their deal conviction. We merge advanced analytic methodologies and proprietary automated data analysis tools with our deep industry knowledge and global reach to perform thorough due diligence at deal speed and generate actionable insights that can be used for post-deal value creation. We provide clients with unbiased answers to your questions and identify and answer the non-obvious questions that other buyers aren’t asking.
How KPMG can help
- Perform due diligence at deal speed
- Confirm or reject the investment hypothesis
- Use advanced analytics to find hidden opportunities and risks
- Improve post-deal integration and value creation
- Develop a view of valuation that you can use to evaluate bids when you’re selling a business
Video KPMG Deal Analytics
KPMG Deal Advisory has an exciting opportunity for Data Scientists (Intern/Co-op) to join our team for 4-8 months starting in May 2023!
- Please note that you must be enrolled in a Canadian post-secondary educational institution to be eligible for this opportunity.
What You Will Do
- Work closely with public, private and third-party data sets to generate data-driven insights.
- Carry out rapid analysis in Python of data sets (structured and/or unstructured).
- Using KPMG proprietary and third-party data analytics tools, you will deliver deeper insights to our clients at deal speed
- Identify and report key issues, perform relevant financial analysis, and interpret results
- Develop analytical procedures and templates that can be deployed to others to increase the capabilities of the wider team
- Work with large volumes of data (structured and unstructured) – investigate and perform deeper analysis to produce impactful insights to achieve targeted outcomes.
- Work shoulder to shoulder with KPMG’s engagement teams to deliver deep insights at speed to achieve the best client outcomes.
- Draft detailed professional reports and other client deliverables e.g. Excel schedules, Tableau dashboards, results of predictive models etc.
- Establish credibility and develop relationships with current and prospective clients.
- Provide support/assistance for proposals.
- Develop and support other business units to identify use cases and increase the use of data & analytics in a cross-functional role (e.g. Valuations, Corporate Finance, Operations M&A / Value Creation, Restructuring & Turnaround, Global Infrastructure Project Group, etc.).
At times, business needs arise, and employees are required and agree to work beyond their normal workday or work week to fulfill the accountabilities required for their job. Likewise, people need extra time to devote to personal matters, and our approach to flexibility provides for this.
What You Bring To The Role
- A solid understanding of Python, Pandas and essential python libraries.
- A solid understanding of advanced statistics to generate quantitative data-driven insights.
- An ability to rapidly prototype and extract data-driven insights in a Jupyter Notebook environment by plotting the data or creating visuals to answer relevant business questions
- An understanding of how to deal with structured and unstructured data such as text and geospatial data such as maps.
- An ability to rapidly extract, transfer and load (ETL) data preferably in Python or Alteryx or even SQL.
- Prior exposure to data visualization tools like PowerBI or Tableau.
- An ability to script in Python an unsupervised machine learning algorithm such as k-means clustering.
- An ability to script in Python a supervised machine learning algorithm such as a decision tree.
- An ability to rapidly automate ETL process using Python or other tools such as Alteryx.
- Proficiency in Cloud computing with AWS, Azure or GCP is a plus, especially to use API services.
- An advanced user of Microsoft Tools (Excel, PowerPoint, etc)
- Client-facing communication skills such as presenting data-driven results and insights.
- An understanding and willingness to learn about investments, finance and M&A.
- A background in physics, math, statistics, computer science and/or engineering is preferred.
Keys to your success
- Strong analytical skills and attention to detail
- Highly motivated to learn and succeed in a fast-paced environment
- Curiosity, healthy skepticism, creativity, and attention to detail.
- Committed, able to work independently with minimal supervision and flexible to cope with changing priorities and strict deadlines.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Skilled in building a network and working relationships internally and externally.
Please apply directly to KPMG at kpmg.ca/careers
To apply for this job please visit www.linkedin.com.